Wear it the right way
U.S. News & World Report, August 13, 2008
(HealthDay News) — Backpacks can cause back pain and injury if they are too heavy or don’t offer enough support.
Keep these guidelines in mind when choosing and wearing a backpack, courtesy of the National Safety Council:
* Always wear both straps, so that the weight is distributed across both shoulders and evenly across the back.
* A backpack should always be centered across the middle of the back.
* Try not to overload the backpack. Keep it from getting too heavy.
* Place the heaviest items closest to the back.
* When lifting the backpack, bend at the knees and lift with your legs.